If you are going to buy a new windows laptop, then you might be interested in reading this.
In this post I will just touch the normal and common problems we face with windows laptops and the remedies I followed.
Here we go.
A. Once your laptop’s initial config is done(setting up the users for the first time use), DO NOT connect to internet or DO NOT install any software.
B. Restart your lappy, and set the BIOS admin password(May be you will have to press DEL button while your lappy boots). This will be helpful for protection from H/W tampering and misuse.
C. Always try to use the Genuine Windows. And keep it regularly updated.
D. Try to insure your laptop. Security from theft.
E. Some of the games are still supporting Windows XP. So you might wanna download this in case you are gaming fan.
F. Partitioning the drives. ***This is the most common issue***
All windows lappys mostly come with a single MAJOR partition which will be used for both Windows and personal usage.
But its always recommended to have a separate partition for your personal stuff. Which will give you the freedom of completely formatting the windows partition if required.
So here is what we can do to create a new partition for our personal usage keeping the windows intact.
Right Click on My Computer > Properties > System Protection > Protection Settings (Click on Windows partition and click configure button)
Then take below two steps
1. Turn off system protection
2. Disk space usage > Max usage > Keep it around 80GB
3. Apply – OK
4. Run > diskmgmt.msc
5. Right click on windows partition > Shrink volume
6. Enter the new partition size you want to create in the amount of space to shrink. (Remaining space will be kept for windows partition, so be careful while choosing this value. I always recommend to have around 100+GB for Windows 7. So you might need to keep the “Total size after shrink” to equal or 112640MB ~110GB)
8. Now check your disk partition table. It should be having the freespace you want.
9. You can play around with that like what ever way you like.
10. LAST but important*********
Revert the first 3 steps we did to original. Keep the max disk space usage to 80GB. That should be fine.
Here is my new partition table layout.
Here we end with having our partition table and genuine windows as well as Linux.
See you again.
Thanks for your time. Comments are welcome.